Vienna – European Islam and Muslim neighbours - Fears and Opportunities
Erste Stiftung and European Stability Initiative (ESI)
organised a public debate (in English) on:
European Islam and Muslim neighbours – Fears and Opportunities
Friday, 10 June 2011, 19:00, RadioKulturhaus (Großer Sendesaal)
Argentinierstraße 30a, 1040 Vienna
Zeynep Goknil Sanal
Presentation by Gerald Knaus: European Islam and Muslim neighbours – Fears and Opportunities (10 June 2011)
Introduction and panel discussion
Questions from the audience
Never has Europe's relationship with Islam been more debated. From Vienna to Stockholm, from Berlin to Madrid, and from Sarajevo to Istanbul Europeans discuss the future of European Islam and the fears and opportunities of having Muslim neighbours - inside the EU and next to the EU. Thilo Sarrazin's book "Germany does away with itself" (Deutschland schafft sich ab) has triggered a huge controversy. So has the statement of Germany's President Christian Wulff that "Islam belongs to Germany". Similarly Austrians, French, the UK and Italy discuss the position of their sizeable Muslim populations in society. Then there is the EU accession bid of Turkey' and of Balkan states with large Muslim communities (Albania, Bosnia- Herzegovina, Kosovo).
The EU accession of these Balkan states and Turkey would – if successful – make every fifth EU citizen Muslim. Recently, the anti-authoritarian uprisings in Arab countries on the shores of the Southern Mediterranean also promise new dynamics, and challenges for the emerging EU foreign policy. But can a continent in which fear of Islam and populist impulses seem to be in the ascendant respond to and shape all these developments?
Analytical work and field research reports are central to the long-term cooperation between ERSTE Foundation and the think tank European Stability Initiative (ESI). ERSTE Foundation and ESI work together to present this knowledge to a European public using various channels, such as a public presentation.
Video contribution by Michael Thumann
- ESI on Turkey
- ESI: The European debate on Turkey
- ESI: The Great Debate: Turks, integration and Islam in Germany
- ESI film: Istanbul - Truth, fear and hope
- This event on the ORF website
- ERSTE Stiftung
- Die Presse, Sibylle Hamann, "Gut, dass wir die Türken haben: Sie holen das Beste aus uns heraus!" ("It's good that we have the Turks: they bring out the best in us!" (15 June 2011)
- Der Standard, Manuela Honsig-Erlenburg, "Die Türken mögen die EU, aber die EU mag uns nicht" - interview with Mustafa Akyol - ("Turks like the EU but the EU doesn't like us") (9 June 2011)