Budapest – ESI at workshop on Central European perspectives on migration
ESI’s deputy chairman Kristof Bender participated in a workshop on "Central European Perspectives on Migration”, organised by the Vienna office of the Konrad Adenauer Stiftung on 23 and 24 September in Budapest. Kristof gave the introductory presentation in the panel on “Securing the external borders”.
He outlined how a coalition of EU member states could establish a system allowing to control the EU's external borders in a humane way, without systematic pushbacks and violence. This has already worked with the EU-Turkey statement which should be urgently renewed, including better and more efficient structures for arrivals on the Greek islands. A coalition of interested EU member states should aim to establish similar partnerships with Tunisia and Morocco.
- ESI: Humane Borders: Saving the Refugee Convention
- ESI proposal: EU-Turkey Statement 2.0
- ESI draft of a revised EU-Turkey Statement 2.0, 16 March 2021
- ESI proposal: A new deal with Africa
- Kristof Bender, "70 Jahre Asylrecht: Was jetzt zu tun ist", Falter, 4 August 2021