Vienna – ESI in TV debate on refugee policy with Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz
ESI’s Gerald Knaus was invited to participate in a live TV debate organised by Kronen Zeitung in Vienna. Under the title “5 years of refugee crisis” Gerald debated with Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz and Klaus Schwertner, CEO of Caritas Austria.
They discussed open and closed border policies, the political debate in Austria regarding migration, the crisis in the Moria refugee camp, human rights, and political responsibility. Moreover, Gerald stressed that "the solution is to support people where they are. But it is also important to receive people in an orderly manner and send back those who do not need protection. Unfortunately, this system has not been applied for six months. Most Europeans were not affected at all. Unfortunately, we also had a great many deaths, I think that could have been avoided".
- Kronen Zeitung: Refugee storms: Can 2015 be repeated? , 2 September 2020
- Vorarlberg Online: Coalition of the willing , 31 August 2020
- Die Welt: Two billion a year for Turkey would be a wise investment, 18 August 2020
- SWR Aktuell Kontext: 5 years of "We can do it". Expert Knaus: EU refugee agreement a great success, 14 August 2020
- Der Spiegel: Kampf gegen Corona: Evakuiert die griechischen Inseln - jetzt!, op-ed by John Dalhuisen and Gerald Knaus, also available in English: The fight against Corona: Evacuate the Greek Islands – Now!, 26 March 2020
- ESI paper: The Aegean Tragedy – Key facts and key steps, 24 Jan 2020
- ESI newsletter: Aegean Plan 2.0 – preventing a disaster in the times of Corona, 20 March 2020
- ESI: www.esiweb.org/refugees