Berlin – ESI at TOBB & EU-Turkey Forum Webinar
ESI’s Gerald Knaus participated in a Webinar organised by the European parliament’s EU-Turkey Forum and the Union of Turkish Chamber of Commerce and Commodity Exchanges (TOBB).
Gerald analysed the process that led to the EU-Turkey statement on migration in 2016 and how it has played out so far. He also gave an assessment of the European Commission’s “New Pact on Migration and Asylum” and its implications for migration cooperation with Turkey.
Other panellists included MEP Tineke Strik (vice-chair of the EU-Turkey Forum), Ayhan Kaya, (Professor of Politics and Jean Monnet Chair of European Politics of Interculturalism at Istanbul Bilgi University), Laura Batalla (Secretary General, European Parliament's Turkey Forum), Başak Yavçan (Senior Researcher in the Hugo Observatory of Migration at the University of Liege and Associate Professor of Political Science at TOBB University in Turkey), and Haluk Nuray (IKV Brussels Representative).
- Vox: The promise and peril of the EU’s new asylum plan, 26 September 2020
- Der Spiegel: Europe's Shame The Moria Catastrophe and the EU's Hypocritical Refugee Policy, 11 September 2020
- Der Spiegel: Kampf gegen Corona: Evakuiert die griechischen Inseln - jetzt!, op-ed by John Dalhuisen and Gerald Knaus, also available in English: The fight against Corona: Evacuate the Greek Islands – Now!, 26 March 2020
- ESI paper: The Aegean Tragedy – Key facts and key steps, 24 Jan 2020
- ESI newsletter: Aegean Plan 2.0 – preventing a disaster in the times of Corona, 20 March 2020
- ESI: www.esiweb.org/refugees