Brussels – ESI at SETA panel on the EU-Turkey Statement: assessing what has worked and what has not
ESI’s Gerald Knaus participated in a panel discussion on the EU-Turkey Statement organised by SETA (Foundation for Political, Economic and Social Research). He assessed the process, challenges, and implementation of the statement from its beginning to today and explained why a renewed Statement is urgently needed.
Other speakers were Talha Köse, coordinator of SETA Brussels ASBL, Burhanettin Buran General Coordinator of SETA, Zeliha Eliaçık, researcher at SETA Brussels. Ibrahim Kalin, Presidential Spokesperson of the Presidency of the Republic of Turkey, delivered the keynote speech.
- ESI proposals website: EU-Turkey Statement 2.0
- ESI draft of a revised EU-Turkey Statement 2.0, 16 March 2021
- Anadolu Agency, Humane borders, control through cooperation possible: Turkey, EU can show the way, 26 March 2021
- Tagesschau: The EU-Turkey Agreement five years on - Success or failure?, 18 March 2021
- Berliner Zeitung: Merkel advisor Knaus: Resettle refugees directly to Germany 17 March 2021