Heidelberg – ESI presentation on Europe’s cruel borders and why Germany matters
ESI’s Gerald Knaus was invited to give a presentation on “Europe's cruel borders - why Germany matters” a as a part of the “Heidelberg Talks Online” organised by the DAAD-Freundeskreis.
In his presentation, Gerald analysed the current situation in Ukraine and how the EU must respond to a looming refugee crisis. He focused his presentation on how migrants have been used by Belarus to sow discord in the EU. The Polish reaction backed by all other EU member states has been characterised by inhumane and violent pushbacks. Gerald underlined that humane borders are needed to avoid tragedies at sea and on land.
- ESI Proposal: “An airlift 2022 for Ukrainians. Proposal for a Macron-Scholz Plan”
- Der Tagesspiegel, Up to ten million refugees from Ukraine?: "There should be an airlift - similar to 1948 (Interview with Gerald Knaus) , 15 March 2022
- Focus, Putin is banking on Europe's fear of refugees - but we can foil his plan (Op-ed by Gerald Knaus) , 15 March 2022
- Die Welt, The biggest logistical challenge we have ever had (TV interview with Gerald Knaus) , 15 March 2022
- Der Spiegel, What will become of the Ukraine refugees? (Podcast interview with Gerald Knaus) , 11 March 2022
- RND, Migration researcher Knaus: "Europe is facing the biggest refugee catastrophe since the Second World War (Interview with Gerald Knaus) , 5 March 2022