Cologne – ESI presentation on borders and the limits of empathy
ESI’s Gerald Knaus was invited to give a presentation on “2015 to 2022: how do we manage? Empathy and its limits.” The event was organised by Caritasverband Rhein-Sieg e.V. in the Archdiocese of Cologne.
In his presentation, Gerald insisted that humane borders are possible, even if there are also limits to humanity, and focused the debate on current developments in the Ukrainian war, which is driving many millions of people to flee and will continue to do so, resulting in the largest humanitarian crisis since the Second World War.
Gerald also presented ESI’s most recent proposal “An airlift 2022 for Ukrainians”, which would be the most generous refugee reception policy worldwide in decades, and an appropriate humane response to the current crisis.
- ESI Proposal: “An airlift 2022 for Ukrainians. Proposal for a Macron-Scholz Plan”
- ESI Newsletter: An urgent airlift for Ukrainian refugees – how Putin’s cynical plot will fail
- Schwäbische, "Migration expert: "The expulsion of civilians is part of Putin's warfare." (Interview with Gerald Knaus) , 31 March 2022
- Focus, Putin is banking on Europe's fear of refugees - but we can foil his plan (Op-ed by Gerald Knaus) , 15 March 2022
- Die Welt, The biggest logistical challenge we have ever had (TV interview with Gerald Knaus) , 15 March 2022