Frankfurt – ESI at panel discussion on the crisis and future of Europe
ESI’s Gerald Knaus was invited to participate in the panel discussion “Crisis-ridden Europe - What next for the European project?” at the event Zeit für Demokratie organised by the German weekly Die Zeit.
Gerald presented ESI’s proposals on EU enlargement to revive the EU accession process. The EU should offer membership in the Single Market, including the four freedoms, as a credible and reachable interim goal to Ukraine, Moldova, and any of the six Western Balkan nations interested in it. Furthermore, Gerald spoke about the urgent need to be prepared for another significant arrival of Ukrainian refugees to the EU in the Winter and how EU countries should support private individuals in hosting refugees.
Gerald debated with Sabine Fischer (Senior Fellow, Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik, German Institute for International and Security Affairs) and Ileana Grabitz (Head of Department, Politics, Economy and Society, Zeit online). The panel was moderated by Bibiana Barth.
- ESI proposal: “Offer the four freedoms to the Balkans, Ukraine, and Moldova”
- ESI: An airlift 2022 for Ukrainians
- ZDF, Less money, more refugees - is Germany still strong enough? (Gerald Knaus on German TV debate show "Maybrit Illner") , 3 November 2022
- The New York Times, A New Refugee Crisis Stirs Uncomfortable Issues for Europe , 3 November 2022
- Der Tagesspiegel, Migration researcher Knaus expects a winter of refugees: "Neither the EU nor Germany is prepared for this" (Interview with Gerald Knaus) , 31 October 2022
- BZ Berlin, Migration researcher Knaus calls for more solidarity in the EU (Interview with Gerald Knaus) , 28 October 2022
- PNP, Migration researcher Gerald Knaus: "Putin is the cause of flight (Interview with Gerald Knaus) , 18 October 2022
- Das Erste, Video: Displacement as a weapon? How refugees become part of warfare ( TV Interview with Gerald Knaus) , 17 October 2022
- RBB, Ukraine: Migration researcher Knaus fears many more refugees (Interview with Gerald Knaus) , 11 October 2022
- Phoenix, Between helpfulness and excessive demands - refugee summit in Berlin (TV debate with Gerald Knaus) , 11 October 2022
- Profil, Gerald Knaus on migration: Who should Europe let in? (Guest commentary by Gerald Knaus) , 10 October 2022