Berlin – ESI lecture on “Five years 2015: Agenda for a reorganisation of the refugee system"
ESI’s Gerald Knaus was invited to participate in the event, “Five Years 2015: Agenda for a Reorganisation of the Escape System”, organised by the Berlin Institute for Empirical Integration and Migration Research (BIM).
Gerald spoke on how to combine compassion for the plight of refugees with the need to control borders and what this means for open and closed border policies.
The other speakers were Ahmad Al Ajlan (University of Bielefeld), Bilgin Ayata (University of Graz), Gerald Knaus (European Stability Initiative), Erik Marquardt (The Greens/EFA, Member of the European Parliament), Frank-J. Weise (Chairman of the Board of the Hertie Foundation), Bashar Kanan (actor, Maxim Gorki Theatre), and Naika Foroutan (BIM). The event was introduced by Herbert Brücker (BIM).
- Kronen Zeitung: Refugee storms: Can 2015 be repeated?, 2 September 2020
- Vorarlberg Online: Coalition of the willing , 31 August 2020
- Die Welt: Two billion a year for Turkey would be a wise investment, 18 August 2020
- SWR Aktuell Kontext: 5 years of "We can do it". Expert Knaus: EU refugee agreement a great success, 14 August 2020
- Der Spiegel: Kampf gegen Corona: Evakuiert die griechischen Inseln - jetzt!, op-ed by John Dalhuisen and Gerald Knaus, also available in English: The fight against Corona: Evacuate the Greek Islands – Now!, 26 March 2020
- ESI paper: The Aegean Tragedy – Key facts and key steps, 24 Jan 2020
- ESI newsletter: Aegean Plan 2.0 – preventing a disaster in the times of Corona, 20 March 2020
- ESI: www.esiweb.org/refugees