Vienna – ESI key note address at civil society networking meeting of the "People.Dignity.Austria" alliance
ESI’s Gerald Knaus was invited to participate in the 4th networking meeting of the civil society alliance “People.Dignity.Austria” in Vienna.
The discussion focused on the impact that civil society has had in the last year, especially regarding the issue on migration and refugees and the situation on the Greek Islands.
Gerald gave a keynote speech on borders and migration, using three real life cases to develop his ideas and proposals, focusing on irregular migration, ESI’s Gambia-Plan and a humane migration policy along the Canadian model of private sponsorships for refugees. After the presentation, Gerald was joined by Marcus Bachmann (Doctors without Borders) and Christoph Pinter (UNHCR) in a podium discussion. The discussion was moderated by Monika Kalcsics (editor & moderator at Ö1).
- n-tv: Germany to become Canada - Knaus advises special asylum route , 17 October 2020
- ARD: Moria: Where Europe fails?, 14 October 2020
- Die Welt: Refugee camps could be history. Op-ed by Gerald Knaus, 11 October 2020
- Der Spiegel: Interview with migration expert Knaus: "Canada should be a model to us , 10 September 2020
- Kronen Zeitung: Refugee storms: Can 2015 be repeated?, 2 September 2020
- SWR Aktuell Kontext: 5 years of "We can do it". Expert Knaus: EU refugee agreement a great success, 14 August 2020
- Der Spiegel: Kampf gegen Corona: Evakuiert die griechischen Inseln - jetzt!, op-ed by John Dalhuisen and Gerald Knaus, also available in English: The fight against Corona: Evacuate the Greek Islands – Now!, 26 March 2020
- ESI paper: The Aegean Tragedy – Key facts and key steps, 24 Jan 2020
- ESI newsletter: Aegean Plan 2.0 – preventing a disaster in the times of Corona, 20 March 2020
- ESI: www.esiweb.org/refugees