Vienna – ESI at conference on “Peace with violence – Armament for freedom or defence without weapons?”
ESI’s Gerald Knaus was invited to participate in the conference “Peace with Violence” organised by the FREDA – The Green Future Academy.
Gerald spoke about Russia’s war of aggression against Ukraine, the refugee crisis it has caused and the solutions that are needed, such as an airlift for Ukrainian refugees.
In addition, Gerald explained how EU membership for neighbouring democracies outside of the EU is now urgent to avoid further Russian aggression. He argued that a credible accession process needs to be put back on the table for the Western Balkans but also for Ukraine and Moldova.
Gerald debated with Ewa Ernst-Dziedzic (Member of the National Council, Spokesperson for Foreign Affairs, LGBTI, Human Rights and Migration), Thomas Roithner (private lecturer, political scientist, peace and conflict researcher, Fellowship of Reconciliation) and Daniela Ingruber (University for Continuing Education Danube University Krems, Research Lab Democracy and Society in Transition).
- ESI Proposal: “An airlift 2022 for Ukrainians. Proposal for a Macron-Scholz Plan”
- “Offer the four freedoms to the Balkans, Ukraine, and Moldova”
- ZDF, " Migration researcher warns against splitting the EU" (Gerald Knaus on German TV Show Markus Lanz), 24 May 2022
- Puls 24, " Knaus: "Refugees are not postal parcels."(TV interview with Gerald Knaus), 20 May 2022
- Berliner Zeitung, " Migration expert Knaus: Europe can take in more refugees" , 12 May 2022