Vienna – ESI at background discussion on World Refugee Day 2021
ESI’s Gerald Knaus was invited to participate in a panel discussion organised by Caritas Austria for World Refugee Day 2021.
Gerald explained ESI’s analysis of the current situation of refugees and how Europe can deal with refugees in a humane way. He warned of the dangers of Greece suspending asylum procedures and carrying out pushbacks at its borders, and outlined ESI’s proposal for a new, humane approach against the background of the EU Commission’s proposal for an asylum and migration pact.
Speakers included Klaus Schwertner (Managing Director of Caritas of the Archdiocese of Vienna), Judith Kohlenberger (Wittgenstein Center for Demography and Global Human Capital), and Othmar Karas (Vice-President of the EU Parliament).
- ESI proposals website: EU-Turkey Statement 2.0
- ESI draft of a revised EU-Turkey Statement 2.0, 16 March 2021
- ESI Newsletter: Essay 1 - The promise and the agony – saving the refugee convention
- ESI Newsletter: The popularity of pushbacks – lessons from Australia, 7 June 2021
- Berliner Zeitung: Merkel advisor Knaus: Resettle refugees directly to Germany 17 March 2021
- Anadolu Agency, Humane borders, control through cooperation possible: Turkey, EU can show the way, 26 March 2021
- Falter: What borders do we need? Falter podcast of presentation by Gerald Knaus on refugee and migration policy, 5 April 2021
- Focus Online: Interview with Gerald Knaus: The Turkey deal has failed: "Germany could take in 30,000 refugees a year, 16 April 2021